Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, February 7, 2014

Schwarma and Rammekins

What we ate, week two:

Spicy caramel corn (not good enough)
Mama's Lebanese Bakery
Butterscotch pots de creme
Penne with Rao's sauce (worth the $$)
Pita and store-bought hummus, drizzled with olive oil (makes all the difference)
Lots of pancakes (I always replace half the milk with plain full-fat yogurt or sour cream)
And
Coconut rice (inspired by Jeff's time in Madagascar):
Olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 C. Basmati or jasmine rice
1 C. Water
2 C. Full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp. salt

Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, 4-6 minutes. Add the liquids and bring to a boil. Add the rice, return to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Sometimes I have to add a little more liquid. Check for salt ( I love salt). Serve with sautéed or roasted veggies, broiled fish (ha, I never cook fish but it sounded good), or just eat it plain, standing in the kitchen.

My parents fly in tomorrow, so I'm gearing up to eat at ALL the good restaurants.

1 comment:

WhitMc said...

I am nostalgic for old times and therefore am commenting on your blog.